Somewhere between Yankee ingenuity strikes again and necessity is the mother of invention, self-preservation kicked in and I put cork on my work surface. No more worries about my cards being haz-mat. My fingers are happy and healing.
Friday, July 23, 2010
So far today I've stuck the needle through the ends of two fingers in the process of sewing the buttons onto my hand-made papers and cards. I have to stop and apply bandages so I don't bleed on the cards. But the response to these is so positive I have to keep trying more. The good news is I'm getting better aim.
Monday, July 19, 2010
My heart notes have been selling very well, and I wanted to make a variation on the theme. I liked the idea of layering hearts and attaching them to the card with a button. The idea seemed simple enough. But I needed contrast, so I had to make a background paper in a different color. Sewing a button onto card stock is a lot trickier than it sounds, and that nylon thread wants to disappear. But here are my first four attempts. Can’t wait to see where I go from here.
Monday, July 12, 2010
Paper-making is my passion, and I have been making hand-made paper for many years. But I've always made my papers in the Western tradition. This month I had the opportunity to go to an all-day workshop on Japanese paper-making.
The instructor brought buckets of gampi, kozo and mitsumata fibers that we beat with sticks on wooden boards. The rest of the day we made paper with sukettas (the Japanese mould and deckle). At the end of the day we used cotton linter for cast paper and a nod to Western papermaking. I took home 34 pieces of various sized papers and 7 castings. Exhausted beyond words, but not too tired to smile. What a wonderful experience. Thanks, JoAnne!