Friday, September 19, 2008

Pulp Paintings from photo silk screens

What's going on in my life seems to make its way into my art. Last year's trip to New Mexico influenced several pulp paintings. Oh, what's a pulp painting? Pretty much what it sounds like. While I have about 3 variations on the theme, it comes down to putting a different color pulp onto a sheet of wet pulp before it has been pressed into paper. "Santa Fe" is a larger piece I did in a class at Columbia College where I made a photo silk screen from a picture I took, then I squirted over-beaten pulp (very short fibers) with a spray bottle. I made a series of several designs, then signed an numbered each. I also made a hand design based on a southwest theme. And I drew a southwest inspired design of a kokopelli in a cornfield near a pueblo. I just love the story of how he carries seeds in the hump on his back, scatters them in the soil, and waters them with the music from his flute.
You can see some of these pieces of art by looking at the slide show on this page.

No comments: